Are you looking for a great sleep mask? If you struggle to get to sleep at night, or if you work shifts, travel a lot, or need to sleep when it’s light outside, then a sleep mask can be a huge help. By blocking out light, you’ll be able to create a great environment for sleep – wherever you are.
We reviewed dozens of sleep masks to identify the best of the best. We looked at how comfortable they were, how easy they were to adjust to fit, whether they had any special features, and (most importantly!) how well they blocked out the light.
Our top pick was the Sleep Mask for Women and Men, 3D Contoured Cup. It stood out as a clear winner due to its comfort and durability, as well as the lovely soft silky feel. The clever contouring of this mask means that it leaves your eyes free to move and blink, too.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Sleep Masks
|Best Sleep Mask Overall||Sleep Mask for Women and Men, 3D Contoured Cup||4.8|
|Runner Up Sleep Mask||MZOO Sleep Eye Mask||4.7|
|Best Budget Sleep Mask||Unimi Sleep Mask 2020||4.9|
|Best Silk Sleep Mask||Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask||4.5|
|Best Weighted Sleep Mask||Gravity Weighted Sleep Mask||4.0|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Overall Sleep Masks: Sleep Mask for Women and Men, 3D Contoured Cup
The Sleep Mask for Women and Men, 3D Contoured Cup is a soft, comfortable sleep mask made from memory foam. It’s suitable for all head sizes, due to the fully adjustable buckle strap. The wide, deep eye space means it’s super-comfortable, too.
You’ll be sure to get a great night’s sleep with this mask because it fits securely (yet comfortably) and blocks out 99% of light. The mask has a silky feel, and many reviewers praised how comfortable and soft it was against their skin.
The high-quality fabric won’t bleed color, either, meaning it won’t stain your pillow or bed sheets. It can be easily hand-washed in cool water.
- 3D face mask with deep space for your eyes
- Blocks light very effectively
- Feels silky and soft against the skin
- Small and compact, so ideal for traveling with
- Seller offers a 60 day refund period plus a 90-day warranty
Runner Up: MZOO Sleep Eye Mask
The MZOO Sleep Eye Mask is a memory foam mask with a carefully contoured space for your eyes. There’s a fully adjustable buckle strap so that you can adjust the mask to fit you perfectly without getting your hair caught as you might with a velcro strap.
Reviewers said this mask did a great job of blocking out the light, even peripheral light, and that it stayed in place easily. There’s a space cut out for your nose to fit into so that the mask will fit perfectly on your face. Several reviewers had tried many other sleep masks and found this one worked much better for them.
One great bonus to this mask is that it’s really nicely packaged. If you’re looking for a sleep mask as a gift, this is a great one to go for.
- Buckle strap is easy to adjust and won’t catch in your hair
- Comfortable all night long – and will stay in place, too
- Comes with earplugs and a travel pouch
- Available in four colors: black, blue, purple, and red
- Seller offers a 60 day refund period
Best Budget: Unimi Sleep Mask 2020
The Unimi Sleep Mask 2020 is a budget-friendly sleep mask, available in black and blue, that doesn’t compromise on comfort and quality. It’s soft and breathable, with an inner lining made of memory foam and the outside made from lycra with honeycomb ventilation holes.
It’s a sturdy, reliable mask that uses sewing rather than thermal bonding to make it extra-durable. It’s a great option for traveling, as it blocks out light very well. The eye spaces are large and comfortable.
The strap is soft and easily adjustable, and won’t tangle in your hair. It helps the mask stay put all night, even if you’re a sideways sleeper.
- Choice of three colors: black, blue, and gray
- Suitable for all head sizes, with an easy-to-adjust strap
- Soft, breathable mask that’s comfortable all night long
- Stays in position during the night, even for side sleepers
- Material won’t fade or stain your sheets or pillows
Best Silk: Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask
The Alaska Bear Natural Silk Sleep Mask comes in a fantastic range of colors and styles, ranging from plain black to funny and creative designs. If you want a few different masks, or if you’ll be using yours on a plane, you can get something that suits your sense of style perfectly.
Both sides of the mask are made from natural mulberry silk. The headband is simple to adjust so that you can get the mask to fit perfectly – and it won’t snag on your hair or your pillow.
This mask is a great way to enhance your skincare regime, too. Because it’s made of silk rather than cotton, it’ll enhance the absorption of your beauty products, improve your skin hydration, and prevent eye wrinkles.
- Mask is made from natural mulberry silk on both sides
- Wide range of colors and designs available
- Easy to adjust and great for side sleepers
- Ultra-smooth and soft on your skin
- Elastic strap is latex-free and fully adjustable
Best Weighted Mask: Gravity Weighted Sleep Mask
This sleep mask is gently weighted to help you relax, get to sleep, and stay asleep all night.Check Price
The Gravity Weighted Sleep Mask is a bit different from most sleep masks. With other sleep masks, you’ll find manufacturers (and reviewers) telling you how lightweight they are. But weighted sleep masks can be a great option if you find the pressure calming. This mask contains tiny glass beads to make it heavier without adding bulk.
Obviously, you won’t want a really heavy sleep mask. This one weighs a pound – enough to feel substantial without being uncomfortable. Several reviewers said that it not only helped them get to sleep much more quickly than usual, it also stopped them from waking up multiple times in the night.
It’s a comfortable option if you’re a side-sleeper, too (which not all masks are). Keep in mind that, whatever position you sleep in, you’ll need to make sure you adjust the mask carefully on your face so that it doesn’t put pressure on your eyes.
- Weighted mask to help tackle insomnia
- Many reviewers loved it, but found the weighted beads pressed on their eyes
- Microfiber lining is soft against the face
- Can be handwashed in warm water
- Has an adjustable velcro strap
Who Should Buy a Sleep Mask
Anyone who’s struggling to sleep should definitely try a sleep mask. You might not realize just how much light levels are affecting your sleep. You might have a really comfortable mattress, but a little bit of light can prevent you from sleeping soundly – or wake you too early.
Sleep masks are also essential if you travel a lot, work shifts, or want to nap during the day time. They can help you get to sleep any time, anywhere, by blocking out even the brightest daylight.
As well as keeping out light – the essential feature of any sleep mask! – wearing a good sleep mask can also help to soothe tired or dry eyes. This makes them an excellent option if you spend a lot of your day looking at a computer screen.
Important Features to Consider
A sleep mask should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a sleep mask:
- Blocks light. Yes, it’s obvious, but a sleep mask really needs to keep out the light! However comfortable your mask is, you’re not going to find it helps much with your sleep if lots of light seeps through.
- Comfortable to wear all night. Hopefully, you’ll drop off to sleep minutes after putting on your mask … and you won’t wake up again until morning. That means you want your mask to be completely comfortable for hours of wear. You don’t want a mask that presses uncomfortably or rubs against your skin in any way.
- Adjustable strap. Heads come in different shapes and sizes … and you want a sleep mask that fits yours perfectly, without being uncomfortably tight or unhelpfully loose. That means getting a mask that’s easy to adjust so you can get the perfect fit.
- Contoured to make spare for your eyes. While you might think of sleep masks as flat pieces of fabric, often given away for free in spas or on airplanes, there are plenty of sleep masks out there that are 3D. This means they have hollow spaces where your eyes can easily and comfortably fit. You may find the flat type of mask works just fine for you, but if it’s not quite comfortable, try a 3D mask instead.
- Suitable for your sleeping position. Some sleep masks are perfect for back sleepers, who won’t want to be lying with the back of their head on an uncomfortable strap fastening. Others are designed for side sleepers. And front sleepers will want a mask that won’t press into their face even when they’re sleeping on it. Make sure you get a sleep mask that suits the way you naturally sleep.
- Fabric that won’t stain your pillow or sheets. Dark-colored sleep masks can sometimes stain light-colored bedding. If you’ve got white or cream-colored pillowcases or sheets, make sure that you opt for a mask that’s designed not to stain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do sleep masks really work?
Yes, sleep masks definitely work … as plenty of relieved sleep mask owners can attest! Most people find that wearing a sleep mask takes a few nights to get used to, so don’t give up if it feels odd at first or if you struggle to sleep while wearing it to begin with. If the first mask you try isn’t comfortable, try something else: there are lots of different options out there.
Which sleep mask is best?
The best sleep mask for one person might not be a great match for someone else. Generally, though, we think you can’t go wrong with any of the masks we’ve picked. It’s always a good idea to ask around or to look at reviews to see what others have said. Pay particular attention to anyone who sleeps in the same position as you (front, back, or side) to make sure you’re getting a mask that will suit the way in which you like to sleep.
Is it bad to wear a sleeping mask?
The only issue that you might experience from wearing a face mask is that it can irritate sensitive skin, as you’re wearing it for potentially 8+ hours at a time. It’s important to wash your face mask regularly to avoid a build-up of oils and grease from your skin.
Are sleep masks good for your skin?
Sleep masks can be positively beneficial for your skin. If your pillow tends to leave your skin wrinkled, for instance, then your mask will actually protect your skin. Your mask could also help your skin to absorb beauty products and stay hydrated.
Other Sleep Masks We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other sleep masks. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best sleep masks list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
3D Sleep Masks
3D Sleep Mask, New Design Light Blocking Sleeping Eye Mask
This blue sleep mask blocks light without putting any pressure on your eyes. The soft elastic strap can be easily adjusted and won’t snag your hair.
- Carefully contoured to fit your nose and block all light
- Feels soft and smooth and doesn’t put pressure on your face at all
- Made from breathable fabric that won’t irritate your skin
- Manufacturer offers a 30 day refund period and 12 months warranty
Alaska Bear Memory Foam Sleep Mask with 3D Molded Cups
If you want a mask that blocks as much light as possible, this is a great option. It uses form-fitting memory foam and has an ergonomic design that leaves your eyes free to blink.
- Available in a range of colors
- Fully adjustable strap so it can fit any head size
- Soft and silky feel, won’t feel hot or rub against your skin
- 60-day refund guarantee – you can get a replacement or full refund if you’re not happy
Bedtime Bliss Luxury Sleeping Eye Mask for Men & Women
This mask lets you fully open your eyes and doesn’t put any pressure on your eyelids. It’s soft and comfortable and will last for months of use.
- Range of colors available
- Comes with carry pouch and earplugs
- Fastens with velcro so can be adjusted for all face sizes (including children)
- Money-back guarantee if you don’t like it
OriHea Eye Mask for Sleeping, Sleep Mask for Men and Women
If you want to be able to sleep anywhere, this mask is a great choice. It offers 100% blackout cover and has plenty of room for your eyes and eyelashes.
- Specially designed not to put pressure on nose
- Has an internal nose flap to block out night around the nose
- Comes with earplugs plus a carry bag, so makes a great gift
- Material is lightweight and comfortable: it won’t make your face hot
Sleep Mask, 100% Blackout 3D Contoured Sleep Eye Mask
This contoured memory foam mask is super light and a great option for traveling. It’s durable and easy to wash in cold water.
- Available in black, gray, purple, or blue
- Budget-friendly option with 30-day refund guarantee
- Soft, comfortable, and lightweight mask
- Headband is easy to adjust and won’t snag on your hair or pillow
Sleep Mask for Women Men Sleeping, 3D Contoured Cup
Made from premium memory foam and very soft fabric, this heat-bonded mask is durable. It’s shaped to avoid putting any pressure on your eyelids.
- Fully adjustable buckle strap that won’t snag your hair
- Should be hand washed in cool water and left to dry naturally
- Many reviewers said this was the best mask they’d tried
- Manufacturer offers a 60-day full refund guarantee
Sleep Mask for Women Men, Ultrathin Light Blocking Sleeping Mask
This very budget-friendly sleep mask is made from very soft fabric and memory foam. It’s carefully shaped so that it won’t put any pressure on your eyes while you’re sleeping.
- Blocks light very effectively
- Won’t touch your eyes – or your eyelashes or makeup
- Should be washed before first use
- Comes with a travel pouch and a pair of earplugs
This sleep mask is contoured so it doesn’t press on your eyes. It’s made from TEMPUR material that won’t lose its shape and has an elasticized strap that fastens with Velcro.
- Fabric is soft and breathable
- Strap can be easily adjusted for the perfect fit
- Stays cool to the touch and won’t make your face hot
- Durable and can last for years
Unimi Sleep Mask for Woman and Man, Upgraded Contoured 3D Eye Mask Eye Cover
Made of low rebound memory foam and elastic polyester, this mask is comfortable and durable. It’s a great option for traveling and comes with a carry pouch.
- Available in black, pink, purple, or gray
- Very soft and easy to adjust strap
- Blocks out even bright light very effectively
- Won’t put pressure on your eyes or nose
ZGGCD 3D Sleep Mask, New Arrival Sleeping Eye Mask
This comfortable 3D sleep mask comes in a range of three colors: black, purple, and blue. It’s made from a super soft and comfortable memory sponge.
- Deep 3D eye contour lets you easily blink and move your eyes
- Soft, stretchy cord that won’t snag your hair
- Blocks out light effectively, due to large area of coverage
- Manufacturer offers 12-month warranty
Cotton Sleep Masks
100% Handmade Cotton Sleep Mask Blackout
This ultra-soft sleep mask is made from 95% cotton and 5% spandex, with pure cotton padding inside. It comes with earplugs, plus a free carry bag for easy traveling.
- Different colors available: blue, gray, or purple
- Easy to adjust to suit different head sizes, and can fit kids as well as adults
- Breathable fabric that’s soft and comfortable while sleeping
- Won’t put pressure on your eyes or nose
These masks come in a pack of two, making them a great choice if you want to wear a mask every day (so you can wash one) or if you want to keep one at home and one in the office.
- Comes in a two-pack (one black, one gray)
- Bottom of masks is elasticated cotton and can be adjusted
- Soft cotton side wings prevent masks putting pressure on the eyes
- Comes with a carry bag
This mask is carefully designed to prevent light from getting in around your nose. It’s made with 5 layers of highly breathable fabric, including cotton, elastic sponge, and modaier.
- Comes with a handy carry pouch
- Has a long, wide strap that can fit heads from 19 inches to 29 inches
- Blocks out even bright light in offices or on planes
- Stays in place easily while you sleep
Silk Sleep Masks
Jersey Slumber 100% Silk Sleep Mask For A Full Night’s Sleep
Made from hypoallergenic silk, this sleep mask puts very little pressure on your eyes and face. It has a comfortable, easy to adjust strap. It’s lightweight and can provide relief from dry eyes.
- Has a fully adjustable strap (no velcro) to get the perfect fit
- Suitable for use in meditation or for relaxation as well as for sleeping
- Breathable, natural hypoallergenic mulberry silk that helps keep dry air out
- Suitable for any sleep position – won’t move or fall off during the night
If you’re looking for a smooth, silky mask, then this is a great option. It’s available in a range of colors and won’t crease your face.
- Made from smooth mulberry silk that feels luxurious on your skin
- Strap is stretchy but mask may not fit well if you have a particularly small or large head
- Blocks out all or almost all light
- Padded for extra comfort
SupRikse Ultra Soft and Light Sleep Mask
This wide, soft sleep mask is made from cool and silky satin material with cotton padding. It’s breathable, easily portable, and comes with earplugs and a travel bag included.
- Comfortable mask that blocks light effectively
- Won’t leave marks or wrinkles on your face, as the satin material is silky and smooth
- Manufacturer offers to replace or refund the mask if you aren’t satisfied with it
- Some reviewers mentioned that the fabric’s color stained their pillow
Sleep Masks with Special Features
Unusually, this sleep mask has a strap that can be removed, making it particularly easy to store for travel. It blocks out 100% of light with a special nose baffle design.
- Lightweight, breathable mask that blocks light effectively
- Removable strap with a fully adjustable buckle
- Manufacturer offers a 30-day replacement or refund guarantee
- Waterproof storage pouch provided: you can easily clip this to a backpack
IMAK Compression Pain Relief Sleep Mask
This special sleep mask is made from soft, breathable cotton. It has smooth beads inside to provide a massaging effect around your eyes.
- Designed to help relieve eye strain, headaches, migranes, puffy eyes, and sinus pain
- Weighted but not excessively heavy
- Can be chilled or heated depending on your preference
- Blocks out light too, so it’s great for naps or sleeping
Plush Eye Mask for Dry Eyes | Ultra-Soft Moist Heat Eye Compress Pad
While this mask is designed to provide relief for dry eyes and other eye conditions, you can also use it to sleep in. Simply warm it in the microwave and pop it on.
- Has soft gel beads inside that heat up fast and stay warm to soothe your eyes
- Made from soft, hygienic material to keep it fresh and clean
- Can help with various eye conditions, including dry eyes, pink eye, MGD, stye, blephartis, and more
- Reviewers said it was also effective in helping with their migraines
Sleep Headphones Bluetooth Eye Mask, Joseche Wireless Bluetooth 5.0
This sleep mask not only blocks out light, it also has built-in Bluetooth speakers. It’s a great option if you like to listen to music or meditation tracks while you fall asleep, whether at home or while traveling.
- Play time of 9+ hours, so you can listen to music all night
- Easy to wash – simply remove the Bluetooth module
- Position of the speakers can be adjusted, as well as the length of the strap
- Comfortable and soft to wear