Do you find yourself waking up at night because you’re too warm? Maybe you throw your covers off, but you can’t sleep well without the weight of a blanket over you. This is where cooling blankets come in. They give you that cozy secure feeling without overheating you.
We reviewed dozens of cooling blankets to identify the best of the best. We looked at how comfortable and durable they were, what materials they used, and – most importantly! – whether they’d be effective at keeping you cool.
Our top pick, the WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket, stood out as a clear winner. It’s made from breathable bamboo fiber to keep you cool and it’s carefully and evenly weighted to help you get an amazing night’s sleep.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cooling Blankets
|Best Cooling Blanket Overall||WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket||4.8|
|Runner Up Cooling Blanket||KAWAHOME Summer Knit Blanket||4.7|
|Best Budget Cooling Blanket||Smart Queen Cooling Weighted Blanket||4.6|
|Best Bamboo Cooling Blanket||YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket||4.5|
|Best Cotton Cooling Blanket||YnM Weighted Blanket (Cotton)||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cooling Blanket Overall: WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket
The WONAP Cooling Weighted Blanket is made from 100% breathable natural bamboo fiber, meaning it’ll stay cool all night long. It’s weighted with tiny glass beads that won’t move around or make a noise, so it shouldn’t disturb your sleep in any way.
The durable bamboo fabric and strong stitching mean the blanket can be safely machine washed. The glass beads won’t leak out of the blanket. You can use it on its own, or you can put a cover on it if you prefer.
- Wide range of weights and sizes, from 7lbs twin to 30lbs king size
- Has loops to attach a duvet cover
- Machine washable (on gentle cycle in cool water)
- Color is folkstone gray
- Manufacturer offers a full refund if you’re dissatisfied in any way
Best Lightweight Cooling Blanket: KAWAHOME Summer Knit Blanket
The KAWAHOME summer knit blanket has a breathable jersey knit side to keep you cool, plus a fuzzy side that’s warm and fleecy, so you can use it whichever way it suits you. It’s available in a range of sizes and pastel colors.
It can be machine washed on cold and tumble dried, and won’t shred or pill after washing. It’s a soft, light option that reviews compared to sleeping under a favorite sweatshirt. The material is polyester, so it may not be suitable for you if you have allergies. The blankets are a generous size and will look great on your bed, too.
- Available in a range of pastel colors: blue, camel, green, purple, gray, and brown
- Range of sizes available from “throw” to “king”
- Two-sided blanket, with a cool breathable side and a warm soft fleecy side
- Stands up well to machine washing and tumble drying
- Good option for hot sleepers and should help keep you cool
Best Budget Cooling Blanket: Smart Queen Cooling Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets can be quite expensive, so if you’re on a tight budget, the Smart Queen Cooling Weighted Blanket is a great one to go for. It’s 100% cotton and has a unique 7 layer structure that stops the tiny beads from leaking out.
The blanket comes in a range of different sizes and weights, and the manufacturer recommends choosing a blanket that’s about 7% of your body weight if you’re concerned that the blanket may be too heavy. It can be machine washed on a gentle, cool cycle, but shouldn’t be tumble dried.
- Range of different sizes and weights available
- Made from 100% cotton
- Manufacturer (and reviewers) recommend getting a cover for the blanket
- Each blanket has 8 loops to fasten to a duvet cover
- Reviewers recommended choosing a size up from the size of your bed
Best Bamboo Weighted Cooling Blanket: YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket
The YnM Bamboo Weighted Blanket is made from all-natural bamboo to keep you cool at night. It comes in a range of colors, weights, and sizes. It can be used on its own, but the manufacturer recommends getting a duvet cover (matching ones are available). The blanket has 8 loops to help you fasten it to the cover.
It’s a well-made blanket, which uses the standard tiny glass beads to provide the weight. These won’t leak out easily, and the stitching is very durable. The blanket can be washed in a machine, though the manufacturer recommends keeping washing to a minimum and using a cover instead.
- Made from pure bamboo, which has a naturally cooling effect
- Blanket has a luxurious, smooth feel
- Has ties so that it can be easily fastened to a duvet cover
- Comes in a range of attractive colors
- Matching duvet covers also available
Best Cotton Weighted Cooling Blanket: YnM Weighted Blanket (Cotton)
YnM makes this cotton YnM Weighted Blanket as well as the bamboo one we covered above. This too comes in a wide range of colors, weights, and sizes. Because it’s made of cotton, it’s not quite so cooling as the bamboo — if you tend to be a hot sleeper, the manufacturer recommends trying the bamboo version instead.
Several reviewers said this blanket really helped with restless legs syndrome and others found it very helpful for anxiety. A few reviewers mentioned issues with the quality of the seams, saying the beads leaked out, but others had no problems at all even after washing the blanket multiple times.
- Made from 100% cotton: good option if you find bamboo a little too cold
- Has a 7-layer structure to keep the weighted beads in place
- Includes ties to easily attach it to a duvet cover
- Available in a wide range of colors and designs
- Manufacturer also offers matching duvet covers
Who Should Buy a Cooling Blanket
A cooling blanket is a great option if you feel too warm under a duvet. Whether you opt for a super-light summer blanket or a weighted but cool blanket, you can enjoy the comfort of sleeping beneath a blanket without getting too warm during the night.
The weighted cooling blankets can be particularly helpful for a number of conditions, including ADHD, autism, and anxiety. If you struggle to get to sleep or stay asleep at night, you might want to try one. Weighted blankets have become much more popular over the past few years, meaning there’s a great range to choose from.
While most people can use a weighted blanket without any problems at all, it’s important to know that a few medical conditions could be worsened by sleeping under a weighted blanket. These conditions include sleep apnea, blood pressure problems, and asthma. It’s also best to avoid using a weighted blanket if you have a rash or open wound. If you’re in any doubt about whether a weighted blanket is suitable for you, either opt for a non-weighted cooling blanket or consult your doctor first.
If you’re interested in the other extreme in a blanket, try one of The Best Electric Blankets.
Important Features to Consider
A cooling blanket should have several important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cooling blanket:
- The material used for the blanket. Most cooling blankets are made from cotton or bamboo, either of which can be a good choice. Bamboo is very breathable, meaning it’s easy to stay cool under a bamboo blanket. Cotton can be a little cheaper, and some people prefer it. We made sure to include a range of blankets made from different materials to give you the widest possible choice.
- Whether the blanket is weighted. Obviously, all blankets have a bit of weight to them, but some are specially weighted to be heavier than would be possible with the fabric alone. When choosing a cooling blanket, you might want to opt for a weighted one to help you sleep more soundly.
- The durability of the blanket. You’ll be sleeping under your blanket every night, so you want something that will stand up to that much use. Plus, weighted blankets aren’t particularly cheap: you won’t want to replace it after just a few months.
- Whether the blanket might get too hot. While lots of manufacturers will claim that their blanket is cooling, hot sleepers often disagree! We poured through reviews from hundreds of blanket-owners to make sure that these blankets were suitable for use even in the summer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do cooling blankets work?
How effective cooling blankets are will depend on you, your room, and your blanket. Most people find that the blankets on our list are effective for staying cool, even in the summer. Keep in mind that these blankets won’t cool the air itself, though! You’ll want to run an air conditioner to keep your room cool on very hot nights.
What type of cooling blanket should I buy?
There are several different types of cooling blankets out there. Some are lightweight options, ideal if you just want something thin to cover you. Others are weighted, which is perfect if you like the comforting feeling of a heavy blanket, but don’t want to get too hot.
How do I keep my bed cool?
If your bed itself is getting too hot, there are various things you can do to keep it cooler. Running the AC will obviously help, as if your room is cool, your bed will be cool. If you don’t have AC, you can simply put a fan on and point it at your bed. Avoid using a memory foam mattress or topper, as these tend to trap body heat. Instead, use a cooling mattress pad.
Do weighted blankets make you hot?
Some weighted blankets can make you feel hot, but the ones on this list are all designed to keep you from overheating at night. If you often feel too warm during the night, we recommend choosing a bamboo weighted blanket, as bamboo is particularly cooling.
Other Cooling Blankets We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cooling blankets. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cooling blankets list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for getting a good night’s sleep. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Lightweight Cooling Blankets
This lightweight comforter is super soft and fluffy, but won’t get too warm at night. It’s made from recycled materials and is ultra-smooth.
- Has a 100% eucalyptus fiber shell and filling is 100% recycled plastic (BPA-free)
- Includes loops in each corner to accommodate duvet cover ties
- Comes in 3 different sizes
- Company offers a 7-night free trial before taking payment
Available in a range of colors and in two different sizes, this cooling bamboo blanket will help stop you from getting too warm. It has a silky feel and keeps you cool and dry in the night.
- Two sizes available: 59” x 79” and 79” x 91”
- Made from ultra-soft and smooth bamboo fiber
- Can be machine washed, but should be hung to dry in a cool ventilated place
- Reviewers said this was great for hot sleepers and hot climates
This lightweight blanket is double-sided, with Japanese Cold Fiber on the top to absorb your body height on summer nights, and comfortable breathable cotton on the bottom.
- Double-sided blanket, suitable for summer, as well as spring and autumn
- Size is 59” by 79” – fits a twin or full bed
- Range of colors available: blue, gray, green, and pink
- Fabric feels soft and comfortable on both sides
This lightweight blanket is made from bamboo microfiber and comes in a range of sizes and colors. It can be machine washed but should be hung to dry.
- Smooth cool fabric that’s soft against your skin
- Diamond weave pattern to keep the blanket breathable and dry
- Keeps you from getting sweaty and sticky at night
- Needs careful care when washing — follow the manufacturer’s instructions
This blanket uses a super cooling fabric designed to pull the heat away from your body. It has a cooling side and a 100% cotton side.
- Range of sizes available, and two different colors (gray and blue)
- Great option if you have hot flushes or night sweats
- Small size is lightweight and easy to travel with
- Can be machine washed, but take care to follow the manufacturer’s instructions
With three layers of muslin, this pretty summer blanket comes in a range of different designs and colors.
- Combed cotton blanket that uses yarn die instead of print, so it won’t fade easily
- Reviewers said this blanket helped keep them cool, even in summer
- Blanket will stay soft for wash after wash
- Should be washed on a cold, gentle cycle and tumble dried at a low temperature
This lightweight blanket is hypoallergenic and can be layered with other True Temp products (like a mattress layer and sheet set) for a cool night’s sleep.
- Available in both queen and king sizes, and several different colors
- Can be machine washed in cold water and tumble dried on low
- Reviewers said this blanket wasn’t too hot, even in summer
- Manufacturer lets you exchange bedding for up to 30 days
Cotton Weighted Blankets
This weighted blanket is available in a wide range of sizes and weights and has 7 layers to keep the glass beads inside from shifting.
- Suitable for both children and adults (depending on what size and weight you pick)
- Made from natural, hypoallergenic cotton fiber
- Manufacturer recommends using a duvet cover if possible
- Has a 30-day guarantee and 24/7 customer service
This 100% cotton weighted blanket has multiple layers and small quilted pockets to keep the weighted glass beads evenly distributed.
- Blanket is gray, 48” by 72” in size, and weighs 15lbs
- Has loops to attach it easily to a duvet cover
- May help ease restless legs syndrome
- Can be washed in a washing machine and air-dried
Using tiny ceramic beads, this weighted blanket is durable and engineered to last. It comes with two different duvet covers for both warm and cold nights.
- Comes with 2 duvet covers, one to keep you cool and one to keep you warm
- Available in a wide range of sizes and weights
- Can also be purchased without duvet covers if you prefer
- Uses a 10 point locking system to ensure weight is evenly distributed
This blanket can be machine washed on a low cycle, though the manufacturer recommends using a duvet cover instead.
- Uses small 3.9-inch diamond quilted pockets to keep the weight evenly distributed
- Range of weights and sizes available, including blankets suitable for children (but shouldn’t be used for children under the age of 3)
- Has loops to attach it to a duvet cover
- Customer service is available 24/7
The 100% cotton LUNA Adult Weighted Blanket is super soft. It comes in a range of colors and designs. The child version includes options like dinosaurs, unicorns, and space rockets.
- Wide range of sizes (including child version) and designs available
- Made from 100% organic cotton
- Individual pockets keep the beads evenly distributed
- Cotton fabric may not feel especially smooth, so you’ll likely want a cover
With 100% natural cotton as the outer layer, this blanket is breathable and won’t irritate your skin.
- Two different sizes (48” x 72” and 60” x 80”) and weights (15lbs or 20lbs)
- Small quilted pockets with dense stitching to prevent beads from leaking or moving around
- Reviewers said it felt cool to the touch and they didn’t get too hot during the night
- Manufacturer recommends hand washing only and using a duvet cover if possible
This 100% cotton blanket is filled with tiny glass beads. It comes in a range of colors, sizes, and weights.
- Range of weights available (suitable for teens up to large adults)
- Uses 5×5 inch small pockets to keep weight distributed well
- Several reviewers said this blanket helped keep them cool
- Banket can be hand washed or machine washed
With a range of colors and designs available, this cool weighted blanket will look great on your bed or couch.
- Includes smaller, lighter options suitable for children
- Matching duvet covers sold separately
- Range of different colors available
- Blanket is free of chemicals and non-toxic
With a wide range of colors and styles available, this blanket uses high-density sewing and small quilted squares to prevent the beads from leaking out.
- Lots of different colors and designs available
- Manufacturer recommends using a duvet cover (blanket has loops to attach this)
- Bamboo version also available
- Can be washed on gentle cycle, or hand washed
Other Weighted Cooling Blankets
This ultra-soft bamboo blanket uses 100% natural bamboo fibers on the outside. The fabric wicks away moisture to help you stay cooler and drier at night.
- Good choice for larger adults as it’s available in a 25lb weight
- Seven-layer design and small quilted squares to prevent beads from leaking
- Has 8 loops so it can be attached to a duvet cover
- Can be machine-washed on a gentle cycle
This bamboo blanket has a cool feel and great breathability, so it’ll keep you from getting warm or sweaty at night. It uses double stitching to keep the weighted beads evenly distributed.
- 20lbs weight, suitable if you weigh 150lbs or more
- Has loops to attach to a duvet cover
- Comes with a leather and suede tote bag for easy transportation plus a vacuum compression bag for storage
- Sleep mask and earplugs also included, so this would make a great gift package
With a huge range of sizes and colors available, this blanket has six layers and is quilted to distribute the tiny weighted glass beads as evenly as possible.
- Wide range of sizes, weights, and colors to choose from
- Made from polyester (not cotton or bamboo)
- Has eight loops to secure it to a duvet cover
- Manufacturer recommends spot cleaning or dry cleaning
This blanket comes in several different colors and sizes. It has 6 layers to keep the glass beads from leaking and to make the blanket breathable.
- Manufacturer suggests spot cleaning, but the blanket can also be machine washed
- Has diamond-shaped quilting to keep beads in place
- Blanket includes tabs to fasten it to a duvet cover
- Manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee