If you’re ready to upgrade to a new lawn mower, consider going electric. These days, electric lawn mowers are a great option for your home, the environment, and your budget. Advancements in battery technology have made cordless electric lawn mowers much more efficient than the past and even corded electric mowers have seen a serious upgrade. With an electric mower you won’t need to worry about keeping a hazardous gas container in your shed or dealing with a hard-to-operate pull start cord. Electric lawn mowers come in a wide array of sizes, types, and features. You’re sure to find one with the elements that you need and a price that fits your budget.
We looked at dozens of electric lawn mowers in order to find the best, highest-quality lawn mowers at any budget, based on factors such as size, type, quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated electric lawn mowers that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower as the best electric lawn mower overall. With a brushless motor that’s more reliable than gas, 45 minutes of run time and rapid charging, with the addition of an extra battery, you can mow a full acre of lawn at one time with this electric lawn mower.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Electric Lawn Mowers
|Best Overall||Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower||4.6|
|Runner Up||EGO Power+ 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM 12" 3in1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower||4.2|
|Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower||Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022||4.4|
|Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower||POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower
A cost-effective choice for most homeowners, the Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower includes two 80V 2AH Li-ion batteries and a rapid charger. One battery provides 45 minutes of run time, so the addition of another lets you mow up to an acre of lawn at one time. Its brushless motor is much more reliable than a gas motor and delivers equivalent performance to a 160cc gas engine. It features Smart Cut technology that senses the height of grass and cuts accordingly, as well as a three-in-one operation, including mulching, bag, and side discharge. It folds flat for convenient vertical storage.
Reviewers love that there’s no messy, smelly gas or oil needed with this mower. They like that it doesn’t have a nauseating exhaust like a gas-powered motor and that the electric motor is far quieter than a gas engine. Reviewers report that the mower is lightweight and easy to push even though it’s not self-propelled. They say it’s easy to turn and navigate across uneven terrain.
Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Cordless Lawn Mower Key Features:
- Large 21-inch base
- Two 80V 2AH Li-ion batteries and a rapid charger
- 45 minute run time per battery
- Brushless motor is more reliable than gas
- Smart Cut technology
- Three-in-one operation, including mulching, bag, and side discharge
- Folds flat for vertical storage
Our Runner Up Pick: EGO Power+ 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower
If you’re looking for an electric lawn mower that checks all the boxes, the EGO Power+ 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower is another solid choice. It is made with a weather-resistant construction with a three-in-one operation, allowing you to mulch, bag, or use the side-discharge chute. It features an adjustable deck with 6 different height settings, and will run for at least 80 minutes on a single charge.
With this lawn mower, you won’t ever have to deal with a pull start cord. It starts with the simple push of a button. This model comes with two 56V 5.0 Ah ARC lithium batteries included and takes just 40 minutes to charge each battery. It also offers remarkably quiet operation, so you’ll no longer need to worry about disturbing your neighbors every time you mow your lawn. The cherry on top is that the EGO Power+ 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower comes with a five-year tool warranty and a three-year battery warranty.
EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower Key Features:
- Adjustable deck with 6 different height settings
- Weather resistant construction
- Three-in-one operation: mulching, bagging, or using the side-discharge chute
- Push button start
- 2x 56V 5.0 Ah ARC lithium batteries included
- 80+ minute run time
- 40-minutes to charge each battery
- Five-year tool warranty and a three-year battery warranty
Best Budget Pick: BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM 12″ 3in1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower
At just $75.99, the BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM 12″ 3in1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower is the best electric lawn mower for budget-minded buyers who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. This lawn mower easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger so it provides the capabilities of three different tools in one. It’s lightweight and compact and features an adjustable handle and with several different height positions to provide maximum comfort and control. It features a powerful 6.5 amp motor and PowerDrive transmission that provide maximum performance even when cutting through tall grass, and overgrowth. The mower is also equipped with an automatic spool feed that lets you continue working without having to stop to readjust the spool, as well as a cord retention system that prevents accidental cord disconnection.
Reviewers love its compact and lightweight design that comes apart for easy storage. Reviewers say that it’s powerful enough to cut through tall, overgrown grass. They also like how easily it transforms from mower to trimmer to edger and back again.
BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM 12″ 3in1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower Key Features:
- 12-inch compact design
- Easily converts from mower to trimmer to edger
- 6.5 amp motor and PowerDrive transmission
- Lightweight design with adjustable handle for comfort and control
- Cord retention system
Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower: Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower
If you’re looking for a corded electric lawn mower that will never lose a charge, the Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower is your best bet. It features a durable 20-inch steel deck so you can mow more of your lawn in a single swipe. The mower comes equipped with a 12 amp motor that is powerful enough to cut through tall, thick overgrown grass. It features three-in-one discharge, mulching, side discharge, and rear bag and seven position height adjustments.
Reviewers love that this mower is lightweight but extremely powerful. They also like that the deck of the mower is metal, not plastic like many of the other electric mowers on the market which makes it thinner for easier storage and better durability. They also like that it has very large rear tires, making it a breeze to maneuver across the lawn.
Greenworks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower Key Features:
- Durable 20-inch steel deck
- Powerful 12 amp motor
- Three-in-one discharge, mulching, side discharge, and rear bag
- Easy push-button start
- Foldable handles for easy storage
Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower: POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower
If you’re looking for a cordless electric lawn mower so you don’t have to deal with an annoying cord, the POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower will not disappoint. It’s self-propelled, so you don’t have to work as hard to push it across your grass. It features a 21-inch steel cutting deck with a 3-in-1 design that allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge grass clippings as well as a high-efficiency 60V brushless motor with a push-button start. This brushless electric motor provides more power, performance, and a longer lifespan than a gas-powered engine, all without having to deal with dangerous and messy gas. The handles fold down so the mower can store vertically, taking up less space in your garage. It features a seven-position height adjustment that can be adjusted with a single lever, giving you control to accurately cut your lawn to your desired length every time. This model includes a 60V 5Ah lithium-ion battery that provides up to 45 minutes of power on a single charge.
Reviewers love that this mower is super quiet, and doesn’t have obnoxious exhaust fumes like a gasoline-powered mower. They also like that the battery lasts a long time and has more than enough power to do an amazing job mowing the lawn, even when the grass is overgrown. Reviewers note that the large 21-inch deck results in fewer passes across their yard. They also report that the lithium-ion battery is much lighter than some other models and is easy to change in and out.
POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch SP Mower Key Features:
- High-efficiency 60V brushless motor
- 3-in-1 design so you can mulch, bag, or side discharge grass clippings
- Folds and stores vertically
- Seven position height adjustments
- 60V 5Ah lithium-ion battery provides up to 45 minutes run-time
- 4-year warranty on the tool and a 2-year warranty on the battery.
Who Should Buy an Electric Lawn Mower
Electric mowers are a great option for the environment and your budget. Electric mowers are not the best choice for every lawn, but with the right conditions, an electric mower may be a better choice than a gasoline-powered mower. Electric mowers come in two types: corded and cordless. Corded electric mowers get their power from an extension cord plugged into an electrical outlet. Cordless mowers include an onboard battery that provides power. Cordless mowers can typically cut for 45 minutes on a single charge. They’re great for yards up to 3/4 of an acre. Corded mowers can mow for as far as they are connected to a power source. Typically, extension cords reach a max of 100 feet, but you’ll never have to worry about losing a charge. You just need to plan effectively so as to manage the cord and keep it out of your path so you don’t accidentally cut the cord and risk electric shock.
Electric mowers are lightweight, making them ideal for anyone with physical disabilities or discomfort. They range in size from about twelve inches to twenty-one inches across. A twelve-inch mower is a great option for someone with a small yard and difficulty pushing or maneuvering a heavy mower. A larger mower would require fewer passes across the lawn but would be a bit heavier to maneuver.
Important Features to Consider
An electric lawn mower should be powerful, lightweight, and easy to use. Here’s what to consider when selecting an electric lawn mower:
- Corded or cordless. Electric mowers come in two types: corded and cordless. Corded electric mowers need to have an extension cord plugged into an electrical outlet. Cordless mowers include an onboard battery that needs to be charged separately. Cordless mowers can typically cut for 45 minutes on a single charge and can typically cut up to 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre at a time. Corded mowers can mow for as far as they are connected to a power source. Many people prefer a cordless mower over a corded mower because you don’t have to worry about running over the cord. However, you can avoid these trip-ups by planning ahead effectively.
- Size. Electric mowers range in size from about twelve inches to twenty-one inches across. A twelve-inch mower is easy to maneuver but requires more passes across the same lawn due to its small size. A larger mower would require fewer passes so you’re done in a shorter amount of time but would be a bit heavier top push and maneuver.
- Motor. The motors of electric mowers should be powerful enough to cut through thick grass. Motors range in size from 6.5 amps to 80 volts. The more powerful a motor is, the more growth it will cut through without lagging. If you typically cut tall, overgrown grass, you might want to choose a more powerful motor.
- Self-propelled or push mower. Some electric mowers are self-propelled, meaning they move forward on their own. This makes it easier to push across your lawn. A push mower requires you to move the mower forward without any additional help.
- Type of materials. Some mowers are made with a steel deck for increased durability and strength. However, a steel deck can make the mower a bit heavier than a plastic option.
- Warranty. Many electric mowers come with one, two, or even four-year warranties. This provides you with peace of mind in case any part malfunctions or breaks down. When it comes to making a pricey investment in a new lawn mower, you’ll feel better knowing you’re covered if something goes wrong.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an electric lawn mower and how does it work?
An electric lawn mower is a lawn mower that runs on electric instead of gas. There are two main types of electric mowers: corded and cordless. Corded mowers must be plugged into an electrical outlet by an extension cord. Cordless mowers use an onboard battery for power. This batter must be charged separately and will hold its charge for a specified amount of time while mowing.
Is an electric lawn mower better or gas?
An electric lawn mower isn’t right for all situations, but it does have a lot of advantages over gas. Electric lawn mowers are less expensive to operate than gas mowers. They’re better for the environment and you don’t have to worry about dealing with smelly, dangerous gas. They do not emit noxious fumes and they’re quieter to use than electric lawn mowers. However, they have a shorter range of use than a gas mower as they must be plugged in or operate off of a battery.
How long do electric lawn mower batteries last?
A cordless battery should last about five years with regular use. You’ll notice you need to replace the battery when it does not last as long on a single charge or takes longer to charge than it used to. A quality electric mower should last about ten years when properly maintained, so expect to purchase a new battery for your mower at least once in its lifetime.
Do electric lawn mowers use a lot of electricity?
Electric lawn mowers do not use a lot of electricity. In fact, they are much more energy efficient than gas-powered motors, which means they cost less to run and are better for the environment. It costs about 11 cents per hour for electricity to run a corded mower or to charge the battery of a cordless mower. In the long run, a cordless mower uses the least amount of electricity because it typically charges for less time than it runs. Keep in mind, though, you’ll have to replace the battery every five years.
Other Electric Lawn Mowers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other electric lawn mowers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best electric lawn mowers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your yard. The information you’ll need to compare is included with the listing.
Corded Electric Lawn Mowers
BLACK+DECKER BEMW472BH 10 Amp 15″ Electric Lawn Mower
This mower features a comfort grip handle, making it easier to turn and maneuver. It features optimal performance with a winged blade for 30% better clipping collection.
- Easy push-button start
- 6 height adjustments from one to three inches
- Designed to power through tall grass
Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower With Grass Bag
This mower features a powerful, 12 amp, electric motor to quickly and efficiently mow your lawn. It includes a three-position height adjustment up to two and 2/5 inches.
- Compact and lightweight
- 14-inch deck
- Rugged all-terrain wheels
Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe 17-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Mower/Mulcher
With a powerful 13-amp motor, this mower cuts a 17-inch wide path through tall grass. It features a removable bag and mulch plug to allow for mowing or mulching.
- Starts at the push of a button
- Seven position height adjustment lever
- Full two-year warranty
BLACK+DECKER BEMW482ES Electric Mower 17″ Lawn Pivot Control Handle
This electric mower features an easy-to-steer pivot control handle that makes turning on a dime possible. It powerfully cuts a 17-inch path through your grass.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Push button start
- Six height adjustments
Earthwise 50214 14-Inch 8-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower
With a powerful 8-amp motor, this mower has the power to cut through all types of grasses. It features a large 14-inch cutting width with single lever easy-change cutting height adjustment.
- Two-in-one side discharge and mulching system
- Compact and slim frame for easy storage
- Lightweight but powerful
Sun Joe MJ402E Mow Joe 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Lawn Mower + Mulcher
This mower features a durable steel blade that cuts a 15-inch wide path with precision. It features a convenient six-position height adjustment for maximum control.
- Detachable 9.3 gallon rear bag
- Instant start
- Full two-year warranty
BLACK+DECKER MM2000 13 Amp Corded Mower
This electric mower provides clean, reliable mowing power with an instant start every time. Its powerful 13 Ah motor easily cuts through any type of thick or overgrown grass.
- Three-gallon all nylon grass collection bag
- Three-in-one capabilities, mulching, bagging or side discharge
- Seven setting height adjustment
Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers
BLACK+DECKER CM2060C 60V Max Power Swap Mower, 20″
This cordless mower lets you quickly change out the batteries just by simply pushing a button on the mower so you’re never without power when you need it. It comes with two 60V max lithium batteries that give you twice the run time of a single battery.
- Six-setting height adjustment
- Three-in-one configuration lets you mulch clippings, bag them or discharge out the side
- 20-inch cutting path
BLACK+DECKER CM2043C Cordless Mower, 20″
This mower allows you to mow right up to edges thanks to the unique Edgemax design. This allows you to spend less time trimming and more time enjoying your yard.
- Includes two 40V Max lithium batteries
- Ideal for up to 1/3 acre
- Three-year limited warranty
Greenworks 20-Inch 40V Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
This mower features an innovative smart cut technology that adjusts for power or run-time based on the thickness of your grass. It features dual blades that offer better cut quality, superior mulching, and bagging capabilities.
- 20-inch cutting deck
- Includes one 4 Ah battery and one 2 Ah battery and charge
- Five-position single lever height adjuster
Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower
With a 16-inch cutting deck, this mower easily maneuvers through small spaces. The six-inch fronts wheel and 7-inch rear wheels provide easy maneuverability across all terrain.
- Two-in-one feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability
- Includes one 4Ah battery and charger
- Best for up to 1/2 acre yards
Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower with Brushless Motor
This mower features a compact design that’s ideal for small to mid-sized lawns. It starts instantly with a simple push of a button and all-terrain wheels for increased maneuverability.
- Energy Star certified
- Six position height adjustment
- Ergonomically designed handle
Greenworks 17-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower
This mower features a 17-inch cutting deck that makes it versatile and lightweight. It includes one 40V lithium battery that cuts up to 1/2 an acre on a single charge.
- Up to 60 minutes of battery run time
- Folds compact for storage
- Two-in-one system mulches and bags clippings
Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower
A more compact style, this 14-inch mower is extremely lightweight and easy to maneuver. It includes a 4 AH 40V lithium battery that boasts 60 minutes of run time.
- Folds flat for storage
- Compact design is easy to maneuver and fit into tight spaces
- Five position height adjustment with a single lever
Worx WG779 40V (4.0AH) Cordless 14″ Lawn Mower
This mower features foam padded handles that provide a more comfortable grip to reduce the strain on your hands while cutting. It includes a patented Intellicut technology that delivers power on demand, so you can save your battery for when you really need it.
- Includes two 20V 4.0Ah batteries for extended run time
- Two-in-one flexibility to mulch or bag
- Lightweight, compact, and foldable
Goplus 14-Inch 12 Amp Lawn Mower w/Grass Bag
This lawn mower features 3 level adjustable cutting heights and an ergonomically curved handle for maximum comfort and reduced fatigue. It features a 14-inch cutting deck for the perfect balance between cutting capacity and easy maneuverability.
- Easy push-button start
- Weighs just 15 pounds in total
- 30-liter grass collection bag
Best Partner 40V Max Lithium Cordless Lawn Mower
With a powerful 40-volt lithium ion rechargeable battery, this mower delivers power and performance to complete even the toughest job. Its 16-inch steel cutting deck provides excellent results with easy maneuverability.
- Six-setting height adjustment
- Eight-inch rear wheels and five-inch front wheels for easy control
- 30-day money back guarantee
Self-Propelled Electric Lawn Mowers
EGO 21″ 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower
This self-propelled mower features a 21-inch steel cutting deck. This model does not include a battery, but it is compatible with all EGO power+ arc lithium batteries.
- Two-bushel grass collection bag
- LED headlights
- Five-year limited warranty
Ryobi 20 in. 40-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Self-Propelled Walk Behind Mower
With a brushless motor, this mower features increased run time and just as much power as a gas mower. It features self-propelled rear wheel drive so you don’t need to break a sweat pushing the mower across your lawn.
- Includes 40-volt high capacity lithium-ion battery and charger
- 20-inch cutting deck
- Two-in-one mulching and bagging system
Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit
This mower features a self-propelled transmission with variable speed so you can set it to what feels the most comfortable. It features two 82V Lithium-ion 2.0Ah batteries that each boast a 45 minute run time and a rapid charger.
- 21-inch steel mowing deck
- Seven-position height-of-cut adjustment with a single lever
- Smart technology adjusts the power to meet the demands of your lawn