If you’ve traded a mug full of hot coffee in for an iced version, you aren’t alone. Cold brew coffee is growing in popularity, with consumers of all ages discovering the many benefits of coffee on ice. But running through the drive-thru every morning is both expensive and time-consuming. A home brew coffee maker could be the perfect solution. Simply insert your coffee and some water and soak overnight for a yummy jolt of caffeine when you wake up.
After reviewing dozens of cold brew coffee makers, we narrowed it down to the best of the best. We considered ease of use, capacity, durability, and portability when making our choices.
The measuring lines on the side of the Bean Envy brewer made it a hit with reviewers. We love that we can make just one or two cups of coffee a day, along with easy cleanup and a space-saving design.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cold Brew Coffee Makers
|Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker Overall||Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker||4.7|
|Best Large Capacity Cold Brew Coffee Maker||Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker with Handle by County Line Kitchen||4.8|
|Best Budget Cold Brew Coffee Maker||Takeya 10310 Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker with Airtight Lid||4.6|
|Best Portable Cold Brew Coffee Maker||Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker||4.6|
|Best Immersion Cold Brew Coffee Maker||OVALWARE Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker Overall: Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker
From brewing to cleanup, everything about the Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker makes it easy to use. The fill lines clearly printed on the outside of the coffee maker help you easily determine how much to pour into it, and the base is designed with a nonslip surface to prevent accidents. It also comes with a step-by-step guide for those who are new to the at-home cold brew experience.
The Bean Envy coffee maker is designed for those who drink one to two cups of coffee each morning, so if you’re brewing for multiple people, it may not be the best option for you. This size makes it easy to store in your refrigerator for the 12 to 24 hours it takes to create a delicious-tasting coffee. The metal filter means you won’t have to worry about filter replacements very often. Simply insert your grounds, pour water over them, and store it in your refrigerator until you reach the desired concentration level. Once you’re ready to enjoy, remove the filter and pour the contents over ice.
Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker Key Features:
- 32 ounce capacity
- Food-grade metal filter
- Sturdy glass construction for extra durability
- Wide opening for easy cleanup
- Measurement lines on side of base
Best Large Capacity Cold Brew Coffee Maker: Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker
Households consuming multiple cups of coffee each day need something a little bigger. The Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker brews up to 2 quarts of coffee, which you can drink that day or enjoy throughout the week. One brew will taste fresh for up to two weeks. If you prefer a fresh cup every day, and you have a one- or two-cup per day habit, this coffee maker also comes in a 1-quart version.
In addition to its large capacity, we also like the flip-top lid, which makes it easy to pour your favorite beverage. The brewer is a mason jar, calling upon a classic design with a proven history. The thickness promises years of durability and the design on the base makes it easier to get a firm grip. But with such a large brewer, you may want to opt for the version with a handle, which will make pouring your coffee out each day a breeze.
Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker Key Features:
- Larger capacity lets you make numerous cups from each brew
- Handle option and flip-top lid for easy pouring
- Mason jar design can resist drops
- Food-grade stainless steel filter
Best Budget Cold Brew Coffee Maker: Takeya 10310 Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
You can find the 1-quart version of the Takeya 10310 Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker for under $20, making it the best value for the quality you get. There’s also a much pricier 2-quart version if you want a higher-capacity model. It comes with a fine-mesh filter, and you can easily purchase replacement filters when that one wears out. Pay attention to the price of the filter, though, as it adds another $15 to the long-term cost that you won’t have with a coffee maker that has a metal filter.
Aside from its low price, one of the best things about this cold brew coffee maker is its versatility. You can pour the coffee over ice and add milk for iced coffee, but you can also add hot water if you prefer your coffee warm. The container is also leak proof, which means you can store it on its side without worrying about messes in your fridge.
Takeya 10310 Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker Key Features:
- Low price for 1-quart version
- Replacement filters easy to purchase
- Leakproof design for easy storage
- Make hot or cold coffee
- Silicone handle makes it easy to hold
Best Portable Cold Brew Coffee Maker: Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
The lid on the Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker creates a tight seal to keep your coffee fresh whether you’re storing it or taking it with you. The leak proof seal keeps your coffee tasting great for up to two weeks in the fridge, although the manufacturer recommends stirring it occasionally to enhance the flavor. You’ll also get a handle to make pouring easy, as well as measuring lines printed on the side to help you know exactly how much water you’re adding.
We love the fact that this coffee maker is dishwasher safe, which makes cleanup much easier. You can just put the lid, pitcher, and filter on the top rack of the dishwasher when it’s empty. Once it’s clean, you fill it back up again for fresh coffee the next morning. This coffee maker is 8 inches tall and easily squeezes into our refrigerator.
Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker Key Features:
- Lid creates an airtight lid to keep coffee fresh
- Small build ensures it fits easily into any refrigerator
- All components are dishwasher safe
- Measuring lines help when filling
Best Immersion Cold Brew Coffee Maker: OVALWARE Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker
The lid on the OVALWARE Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker is designed to keep oxygen out to protect the flavors in your coffee while it brews. The result is a rich, deep taste whether you drink your coffee the next day or over the next two weeks. You can fill the base with 44 ounces of liquid to make enough coffee to last, which comes in handy if you have multiple coffee drinkers in your household.
This coffee maker isn’t limited to coffee, though. You can use it to make fruit-infused water or tea, thanks to the multi-use mesh filter. The filter has a removable bottom cap so when you’re finished, just remove the cap and dump the grounds in the nearest waste bin. The nonslip base and handle will help protect your coffee maker from accidental drops.
OVALWARE Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker Key Features:
- Flavor-locking lid
- Stores up to 44 ounces of liquid
- Make coffee, infused water, or tea
- Nonslip base and handle
Who Should Buy a Cold Brew Coffee Maker
If you’ve already tried cold brew coffee, you already know why it’s so popular. Cold water doesn’t release as many of the compounds in coffee grounds as hot water does, which gives cold coffee a sweeter, less bitter taste. Whether you prefer it for the sweeter taste, the colder temperature, or a combination of both, one thing is clear: buying cold brew coffee at a cafe gets expensive.
You don’t have to buy a cold brew coffee maker if you want to enjoy the benefits of iced coffee, though. Concentrates are sold in stores, but you won’t get the flavors you can do by extracting the flavor. A cold brew coffee maker is so easy to use, you’ll find it saves you both time and money. Just insert the grounds, fill it up with water, and set it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to enjoy.
If you’re purchasing new wares for your kitchen then you may be interested in The Best Cookware Sets.
Important Features to Consider
A cold brew coffee maker should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cold brew coffee maker:
- Capacity. If you only drink one cup of coffee a day, you may not need a 2-quart coffee maker. But before you make that decision, remember that most cold brew coffee can be stored in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. That means you can make a batch on the weekend and drink on it throughout the week.
- Flavor-protecting lid. Whether you’re drinking all your coffee the next day or you savor it over several days, a good lid is important. Look for one that keeps oxygen from getting into the container for best results. If you shake your coffee or store it on its side, it’s also important to make sure your lid can handle this without leaking.
- Storage space requirements. Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to a cold brew coffee maker. Consider the space you have in your refrigerator when buying. If you plan to store your coffee maker in the door, you’ll be limited in how wide the base of your coffee maker can be. The height will also play a role in whether you can store your coffee maker on the top, middle, or bottom shelf.
- Filter build. Like other coffee maker styles, a cold brew coffee maker requires that you insert grounds, then run water through them, with a filter keeping the grounds separate. There are various types of filters, including durable stainless steel versions that you simply wash between uses. Mesh filters typically won’t last as long as metal ones, so make sure you can purchase replacements as needed.
- Filtration ability. Durability isn’t the only consideration with a filter. Pay close attention to how the filter does its job to make sure you won’t end up with unpleasant sediment in your coffee. Some filters are designed to minimize the dilution of the flavors in the coffee to ensure you get a robust, rich experience every time.
- Dishwasher friendliness. You’ll occasionally need to clean your filter. Being able to slide it into the dishwasher can be a big timesaver. If this is important to you, look for a coffee maker with components that can safely withstand the extreme temperatures found in a dishwasher.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cold brew coffee maker and how does it work?
A cold brew coffee maker lets you make delicious coffee that you can pour over ice at home using your favorite coffee grounds. Simply insert the grounds into the filter, add water, and refrigerate overnight. You can immerse the grounds as long as you want, with a longer timeframe providing more flavorful results, but experts recommend at least 12 hours.
Although the process can vary from one coffee maker to another, generally cold brewing involves allowing the coffee to soak in water for an extended period of time. The filter keeps the grounds separate, passing the flavors on to the liquid. In the morning, you remove the coffee maker from the refrigerator, pour over ice, and add milk or creamer as you would with a mug of warm coffee.
What is the difference between cold brew and iced coffee?
You may ask why you can’t simply pour your hot coffee over ice, particularly after it’s cooled to room temperature. You can do exactly that, but you’ll likely notice the taste isn’t quite the same. Iced coffee is made by filtering extremely hot water through coffee grounds, which extracts more of the compounds in the coffee than cold water.
One big difference between the two is time. With iced coffee, you can use a traditional coffee maker, with the brew process taking just a few minutes. Pour and enjoy. With cold brew, the grounds will need to soak at least 12 hours, which requires some advanced planning. If you have a larger cold brew coffee maker, though, you can make your coffee in large batches and have it ready and waiting in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Can I use regular coffee for cold brew?
The appeal of cold brew coffee is that it has a sweeter, less bitter taste, which some people prefer. Cold brew coffee also has less acidity and more caffeine due to the slow brewing process. In fact, you’ll usually get double the caffeine from a cold brew cup than you would from a similar amount of hot coffee. This could bring some welcome energy when you’re stumbling around the kitchen in the morning.
However, you may like the flavor you get with hot coffee and simply want to transfer that taste to ice. If that’s the case, you won’t need a cold brew coffee maker. You can also try using more sweeteners or creamers with your iced coffee to offset some of the bitterness. But by pouring hot coffee over ice, you’ll be diluting some of its flavor due to the way the ice waters it down.
How long is cold brew coffee good for?
We’ve all poured coffee down the drain at least a few times over the years. With a cold brew coffee maker, you can pour out only the coffee you use each day, saving the rest in the refrigerator for later. For best results, you’ll need to at least drink the coffee within a few days, but you’ll probably find the coffee still tastes decent within two weeks of starting the brew. You may notice the flavor begins to degrade after a couple of days.
The build of your cold brew coffee maker can play a direct role in how long your coffee lasts. A lid with a firm seal can keep air from getting in, protecting the flavor. The more your coffee is diluted with water, the quicker you’ll notice the quality diminishing.
Other Cold Brew Coffee Makers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cold brew coffee makers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cold brew coffee makers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for the coffee lovers in your household. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Versatile Cold Brew Coffee Makers
- Budget Cold Brew Coffee Makers
- Portable Cold Brew Coffee Makers
- Large Capacity Cold Brew Coffee Makers
- Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Makers
Versatile Cold Brew Coffee Makers
You can make a wide variety of drinks using the ESEOE coffee maker, including soy milk drinks and iced tea. The nonslip pad on the base ensures it stays in place whether it’s on the counter or in your refrigerator.
- Versatility offers multiple drink options
- Thick, durable glass construction
- 100% BPA free
Kungroo Airtight Glass Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
Hot and cold coffee aren’t the only beverages you can make with this coffee maker. You can also use it to make delicious infused water and tea. This 1-quart coffee maker comes with a leakproof lid and a stainless steel filter for durable, convenient use.
- Airtight silicone stopper to prevent leaks
- 1-quart capacity
- Dishwasher-safe construction for easy cleanup
Veken Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker & Iced Tea Maker
Make coffee, juice, tea, or water using this coffee maker, which comes with a fine dual mesh filter designed to prevent residue. Its 8.3-inch height makes it easily fit on most refrigerator shelves while still providing 1.5 liters of liquid.
- Versatile design to make juices, tea, or coffee
- Fine mesh filter does a better job at reducing sediment
- Designed to fit easily on most refrigerator shelves
Vremi Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker and Tea Infuser
Enjoy a delicious glass of fruit-infused water or tea? You’ll love this coffee maker, which includes a separate infuser insert specifically for fruit. The 1-quart capacity makes multiple delicious cups of cold coffee.
- Fruit infuser for water or tea
- Airtight lid to keep coffee fresh
- Dishwasher safe
Budget Cold Brew Coffee Makers
Brew Tube Cold Brew Coffee Maker
If you have a 64-ounce mason jar, you can save money by buying this mesh filter. It fits any large wide-mouth Ball, Kerr, or Golden Harvest canning jar.
- Self-sealing to work with any wide-mouth canning jar
- Purchase full set for a few dollars more
- Great for taking on the go
Hamilton Beach Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
This coffee maker has everything you need, from measuring lines to a stainless steel mesh filter. You’ll also get 1.7-liter capacity and easy disposal of coffee grounds.
- Holds 1.7 liters of liquid
- Removable bottom cap for easy grounds disposal
- Fine mesh filter works with coffee, fruit, or tea
Pace Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
Enjoy cold brew coffee for half the price of a typical cold brew maker with this pitcher. You’ll get a 51-ounce capacity and dishwasher-safe construction for easy cleanup.
- 51-ounce capacity
- Dishwasher safe
- Compact size fits in many newer fridge doors
Primula PBPBK-5101 Burke Deluxe Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
Get six cups of coffee from this bargain-priced cold brew coffee maker. It comes with a fine mesh filter and a handle for easy pouring.
- 1.6-quart capacity
- Fine mesh filter
- Nonslip base prevents messes
Make tea or coffee using the stainless steel filter built into this portable coffee maker. The filter and cap are also rustproof.
- Simple and affordable
- Measurement lines make filling easy
- Airtight lid keeps coffee fresh
Portable Cold Brew Coffee Makers
Asobu Coldbrew Portable Cold Brew Coffee Maker
This coffee maker is meant to be taken on the go, with vacuum insulation to keep the internal contents cold. Simply insert coffee into the filter, add filtered water, and wait at least 12 hours to allow the coffee to steep.
- 40-ounce capacity
- No refrigeration required
- Spill proof, portable mug
Cold Brew Coffee Maker with BONUS Sealing Ring and Measuring Spoon
All you need is a refrigerator and some cold water to make cold brew coffee using this kit. It comes with a mason jar-style container, a mesh filter, and a sealing ring that prevents leaks. In the morning, simply remove the filter and pour the contents into another cup.
- Leakproof seal
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Measuring cup included
Flip Brew by Zing Anything Cold Brew Coffee Maker
You can make cold coffee or tea using this portable coffee maker, which includes separate baskets for each purpose. Simply remove the basket when you’re ready to drink and pour.
- 48-ounce capacity
- Baskets for coffee and tea
- Handle for easy pouring
Mason Jar Cold Brew Coffee Maker & Iced Tea Maker
The oak lid sets this coffee maker apart from competitors, giving it a classy look. You’ll also get the durability of mason jar-grade glass and a stainless steel filter.
- Beautiful wooden lid
- 32-ounce capacity
- Mason jar brewer
Oranlife Cold Brew Coffee Bottle
The Oranlife bottle can be taken directly from your fridge to work, thanks to an insulated sleeve that keeps its contents cool. The lid creates an airtight seal to ensure oxygen doesn’t affect the coffee inside.
- Removable filter
- Thermos keeps your coffee cold for hours
- Loop makes carrying easy
Large Capacity Cold Brew Coffee Makers
If you entertain, this 4-quart coffee maker is a must-have item. It comes with a tap to make dispensing your beverage easy, which also makes it useful for households that drink multiple cups of coffee each day.
- Tap provided for easy dispensing
- 4-quart capacity ideal for entertaining
- Special weave keeps sediment to a minimum
MIOCARO Cold Brew Ice Coffee Maker
With a capacity of 52 ounces, this coffee maker will make enough coffee to last several days. You’ll also get a food-grade stainless steel filter that will last through many years of use.
- Extra large capacity
- Handle for easy dispensing
- Food-grade stainless steel filter included
One Gallon Cold Brew Coffee Maker
A full gallon of brewing power makes this coffee maker a great option for large households or frequent entertaining. The height is 10 inches, so make sure you’ll have a good place to store it in your refrigerator for days at a time before you buy.
- 1 quart of storage
- Stainless steel filter holds up to 5.5 cups
- BPA-free plastic
Original Grind Coffee Co. Cold Brew Coffee Maker
The classy design of the Original Grind coffee maker will make it a hit at any party. It holds a full gallon of cold brew coffee or tea, with a tap to make dispensing easy.
- 1-gallon capacity
- Stainless steel spigot
- Removable ultra-fine mesh filter
Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Makers
Froth up a delicious cup of cold brew coffee with this nitro-equipped keg that fits in the door of your refrigerator. This small form factor also makes it easy to take along with you to parties and outdoor events.
- 64-ounce capacity
- Pressure relief valve
- Upgraded stout handle
Versatility is the biggest benefit you’ll get from this coffee maker, which can create a delicious cold coffee, froth dairy drinks, and add substance to your beer. This stainless steel device is also dishwasher safe.
- Lightweight for easy transport
- Stores in refrigerator without taking up much space
- Use for coffee, dairy drinks, beer, and more