There’s nothing better than homemade, fresh-baked bread. Not only does it taste delicious, it also makes the entire house smell incredible. With a bread maker, you can bake all of your favorite loaves right from the comfort of your own home. Not only that, but it’s incredibly simple. Just load the machine with the required ingredients, press a few buttons, and you can completely walk away. The machine will do everything for you, including kneading the dough, letting it rise, and baking it to perfection. The beeping will let you know when it’s done. A few machines even come complete with pre-programming for a delayed start as well as keep-warm functionality so you can have fresh, warm bread at any time of day, even while you’re at work or asleep.
We looked at dozens of bread machines in order to find the best, highest-quality bread machines at any budget, based on factors such as type, quality of materials, durability, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated bread machines that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker as the best bread machine overall. While it’s a little pricier than some of our bread machine picks, it features a gluten free setting, dual heaters, and double kneading blades. These features, coupled with that you can use it to make a variety of foods beyond bread, make it an excellent choice for smart buyers.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Bread Machines
|Best Bread Machine Overall
|Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker
|Best Programmable Bread Machine
|Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker
|Best Budget Bread Machine
|Oster Bread Maker
|Best Gluten Free Bread Machine
|KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine
|Best Mini Bread Machine
|Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery 1-Pound-Loaf Programmable Mini Breadmaker
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Bread Machine Overall: Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker
If you’re looking for a bread machine that checks all the boxes, look no further than the Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker. It features 15 pre-programmed settings for a wide variety of breads, including multigrain, whole wheat, gluten free, sugar free, and vegan. Double kneading blades ensure your dough is thoroughly kneaded for consistent and delicious results. Dual heaters, one on the bottom of the machine and one on the lid, bake the bread to perfection, ensuring even baking and browning. The rapid bake function allows you to bake a loaf of bread in just over two hours when you’re strapped for time. The large, easy-to-read LCD display allows you to easily see how much time you have left in the baking cycle, as well as overall bake time, and your specific selections. This bread machine also allows you to choose between a light, medium, or dark crust color, depending on your preferences. It also features settings for foods beyond just bread, including dough, cake, and jam. The 13-hour delay timer makes it easy to end up with fresh bread just when you want it. The non-stick pan on the inside of the machine is removable for easy cleaning.
Reviewers love the shape of the loaf that this bread machine makes. Instead of a vertical rectangular loaf like most bread machines produce, the loaf you get with this machine is horizontal. This is more similar to the bread you’d buy at the store and much easier to slice and use for sandwiches. Reviewers also report that the heating element in the lid ensures consistent and even browning all around the loaf as opposed to mostly browning on the bottom, such as is the case with many other bread makers. Reviewers also liked the “shape” features which allows you to take out the dough and shape it with your hands to make it even after the first rise phase. This ensures your bread doesn’t rise too high in the middle or unevenly on the sides.
Zojirushi BB-PDC20BA Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus Breadmaker Key Features:
- 15 pre-programmed settings, including multigrain, whole wheat, gluten free, sugar free, and vegan
- Double kneading blades ensure dough is thoroughly kneaded
- Dual heaters ensure even baking and browning
- Large, easy-to-read LCD display
- Settings allow you to choose between a light, medium, or dark crust color
- 13-hour delay timer
- Non-stick baking pan is removable for cleaning
Best Programmable Bread Machine: Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker
A much more affordable choice than our top pick, the Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker is still an excellent bread machine. It features twelve baking functions for a wide variety of bread, including basic, French, whole wheat, and sweet. It even has settings for jam and cake. It’s the perfect beginner-friendly bread machine because it’s low cost and doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles that can trip up a less-experienced baker. The control panel’s LCD display is large enough that you can easily read your chosen settings and displays each stage of the process for you. On this screen, you can choose between three different crust selections ranging from light to dark. You can even set it to start at a later time with the built-in 13-hour delay function. The large viewing window allows you to sneak a peek at your bread without lifting the lid.
Reviewers love how easy the machine is to use and straight forward to understand, even for those who aren’t experienced bakers. They also report that the express bread function allows them to make bread in just an hour, perfect for when they are short on time. Reviewers also love how easy the machine is to clean. Unlike many other bread maker models, this machine is truly non-stick, so it’s easy to remove to bread from the pan and just requires a simple wipe down to clean.
Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker Key Features:
- 12 pre-programmed cycles, including basic, French, whole wheat, and sweet
- Bakes a 2 lb loaf of bread
- 13-hour delay function
- Push button control panel with LCD display
- Non stick, removable baking pan
- Large viewing window
Best Budget Bread Machine: Oster Bread Maker
At just $58.00, the Oster Bread Maker is the best bread machine for budget-friendly buyers who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. This bread maker still has everything you need with twelve bread settings and three crust settings for making a wide variety of breads, dough, and jams. The express setting allows you to bake a delicious loaf of bread in under an hour. It also features a 13-hour delay timer that allows you to have fresh-baked bread at any time. The large LCD display and intuitive button controls allow for easy operation and the large viewing window lets you keep an eye on your progress. This machine even signals you when it’s time to add mix-ins, such as fruit and nuts.
Reviewers love the quality of this product for the price. One reviewer even reports that this bread maker baked better loaves than her $200 machine. Reviewers like that it’s simple, easy, and gets the job done right. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the most expensive machines, but it has just what you need to bake a simple loaf of bread that tastes great.
Oster Bread Maker Key Features:
- 12 pre-programmed settings
- Three crust settings: light, medium, and dark
- 13-hour delay timer
- Express setting bakes bread in just one hour
- Large LCD display and button controls for easy operation
- Large viewing window allows you to keep an eye on your progress
Best Gluten Free Bread Machine: KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine
Contrary to what you might think, not all bread machines have a setting for gluten free breads. Gluten free bread requires different rising and baking times than your average loaf of white bread. If you’re gluten free and looking for a bread machine to fit your needs, turn to the KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine. It has 17 pre-programmed settings to choose from, including one for gluten free loaves. It also has settings for jam, cake, yogurt, and a fermenting feature. It features a touch-screen panel with a digital display that shows you how long is left in each baking cycle. The machine also has a smart dispenser for add ins, such as fruit and nuts, and will automatically add these ingredients in at just the right time. The machine is fully stainless steel and features a non-stick ceramic baking pan that’s removable for easy cleanup.
Reviewers love this bread machine’s stylish look. Its stainless steel exterior looks right at home on the counter top so they don’t even need to worry about storing it in their cabinets. They also love the impressive 17 pre-programmed settings, allowing them to make all their favorite loaves, beyond just a basic white loaf. Reviewers report that the machine is easy to use, even with all the bells and whistles, it doesn’t over complicate things. Plus, they report that the bread removes easily from its non-stick pan and is very easy to clean.
KBS Pro Stainless Steel Bread Machine Key Features:
- 17 pre-programmed settings, including one for gluten free loaves, jam, cake, and yogurt
- Touch-screen panel with a digital display
- Smart add-in dispenser mixes in ingredients at the ideal time
- Stainless steel exterior with non-stick ceramic baking pan
- Three loaf sizes to choose from (one pound, 1.5 pound, and two pound loaf)
Best Mini Bread Machine: Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker
If you’re looking for a mini bread machine, the Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker is your best bet. Most bread machines offer multiple loaf sizes, ranging from one to two-pound loaves. This machine only offers a one pound loaf for those with smaller families, and less storage space. The entire machine is just over twelve inches high and eleven inches wide, making it the smallest machine on our list. Despite its small size, it’s still packed with features. It includes pre-programmed settings for cookie and pasta dough, jam, a quick-bake cycle, and so much more. It has a 13-hour delay timer so you can wake up to freshly baked bread. Its LCD control panel is easy to read while the viewing window allows you to sneak a peak at your baking bread. It features a nonstick baking pan and the lid is fully removable for easy cleaning.
Reviewers love that the size of this machine is just what they needed. For singles or small families, a large bread machine just takes up too much space and this machine eliminates that problem. Reviewers also love that it’s easy to use and is consistent in its results. Reviewers like that the machine is durable and lasts many years of heavy use without the parts wearing out.
Zojirushi BB-HAC10 Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker Key Features:
- Bakes a one-pound loaf
- Smaller size is useful for small kitchens and those short on storage space
- Pre-programmed settings allow you to make cookie and pasta dough, jam, and a variety of breads
- 13-hour delay timer
- LCD control panel
- Fully-removable lid for easy cleanup
- One year warranty
Who Should Buy a Bread Machine
Anyone who loves fresh, homemade bread needs a bread machine at home, even if they aren’t an experienced baker. A bread machine makes it easy enough to make bread that anyone can do it. Just place the ingredients into the pan, press a few buttons, and the machine will do everything needed to bake the bread for you. You don’t need to worry about letting the bread rise, keeping it at just the right temperature for the yeast to do its job, or figuring out exactly how much you should knead it. The machine will do all this work for you, not to mention baking the loaf to perfection!
Bread machines can help you save money. It’s often much cheaper to make your own bread at home rather than purchase it at the store. Making your own bread also allows you to customize the ingredients to make a healthier loaf. You can use whole wheat, multigrain flour, and fresh nuts and seeds to make a loaf that’s far superior to the average white bread you can buy at the store. You can also control exactly what goes into the loaf, which is especially useful if you have allergies or dietary restrictions.
If you’re interested in making killer sandwiches with fresh bread, then you won’t want to miss The Best Sandwich Presses.
Important Features to Consider
A bread machine should have a variety of pre-programmed options to bake a variety of bread, and require minimal oversight by the user. Here’s what to consider when selecting a bread machine:
- Size. Most bread machines offer a few options when it comes to loaf size, most commonly two-pound, 1.5 pound, and one-pound loaves. Mini machines are smaller and just bake a one-pound loaf. Machines that can bake a two-pound loaf are typically larger in size, but offer some flexibility if you’re cooking for a crowd.
- Pre-programmed settings. The bread machine you choose should have at least ten pre-programmed settings that allow you to make a variety of different kinds of loaves, including basic white, whole wheat, sourdough bread, sweet bread, and more. Many bread machines also offer the option of choosing the crust shade you prefer, usually with a choice between light, medium, and dark. Other machines even have options for the firmness of the loaf, between firm, medium, and soft.
- Gluten-free option. If you’re gluten free, you’ll need to ensure that the bread maker you choose has a pre-programmed setting for gluten free breads. Not all bread machines offer this option. However, because gluten free bread requires different rising and baking times, it’s essential if you’re looking to make gluten-free loaves.
- Versatility. Some bread machines also offer settings for jam, pizza dough, cookies, cakes, and more. If you’re looking for more versatility in your bread machine beyond just the ability to make bread, be sure to choose a machine that has these options.
- Quick baking function. Many machines offer a quick baking function. This feature allows you to bake bread in as little as an hour from start to finish. Some models offer longer “quick baking functions” that take as long as two and a half hours. In either case, this function allows you to cut down on the time needed to bake bread, but the quality of the bread isn’t as high as with a typical setting.
- Collapsible paddle/blade. Bread made in a machine typically has a hole in the bottom where the kneading blade sat during the baking process. Therefore, some models feature a collapsible blade or paddle that folds down right before the baking phase.
- Delay timer and keep warm option. If you like to wake up to freshly baked bread, a delay timer might be the feature you need. This allows you to pre-program the machine and set it to start at a specific time in the future. For instance, if you want fresh bread at 8 a.m., you’d set the machine to start at 5 to give it the time it needs to be finished by 8, or whatever the case may be. A keep warm function also allows you to keep the bread warm for a specified amount of time after it finishes baking.
- Automatic dispenser. – Some bread machines also have automatic dispensers for yeast or fruits and nuts. Add ins, such as fruit and nuts, need to be mixed into the dough later in the process. While many models beep to let you know it’s time to add these ingredients in, those with automatic dispensers actually mix these ingredients in at just the right time. You don’t need to worry about adding in your extra ingredients and can just go about your day.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a bread machine and how does it work?
A bread machine completely automates the process of baking bread, allowing you to make delicious loaves with minimal oversight by you. Bread machines feature pre-programmed settings that automate the machine to perform all the mixing, kneading, rising, and baking for you at just the right times. You’ll end up with a perfectly baked loaf without any of the headache typically associated with baking bread.
Do bread machines bake the bread?
Yes, bread machines bake the bread for you if you use one of the pre-programmed settings on the machine. However, if you don’t want the bread machine to bake the bread, there are also settings for that option. You can set the machine to mix, knead, and allow your bread to rise, but then stop, allowing you to retrieve the dough from the machine. This is especially useful for dough such as pizza dough, rolls, and pasta dough, which need to be shaped into different sizes and shapes besides a bread loaf.
What flour is best for bread machines?
There isn’t one specific type of flour that’s the best for all bread machines. Different flours make different flavored bread. You might be looking for a denser, firmer bread and prefer a whole wheat bread versus a plain white bread. Or, you might be looking for the health benefits of a multi-grain flour. While different types of flour result in different types of bread, they also require different amount of time for kneading, baking and rising. Whichever flour you choose, be sure to follow the recommendations on your machine and in the included recipe book to ensure you choose the best setting for that type of flour.
How long is the kneading cycle on a bread machine?
The kneading cycle on a bread machine varies based on the type of bread you’re making. In a typical basic white loaf, the kneading cycle lasts approximately eight to ten minutes. Kneading is required to create structure and strength in the dough that’s needed to make the elastic, and “springy” texture in the dough.
Other Bread Machines We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other bread machines. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best bread machines list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your home. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Programmable Bread Machines
- Versatile Bread Machines
- Gluten Free Bread Machines
- Bread Machines with Yeast Dispensers
- Mini Bread Machines
Programmable Bread Machines
Featuring 12 settings, including gluten free, this bread machine is fully programmable with an easy-to-read, digital display. It also features a non-stick, dishwasher safe pan with two kneading paddles.
- Choose between a 1.5-pound or 2-pound loaf
- Light, medium, and dark crust settings
- Also includes settings for jam and cake
This bread machine features a revolutionary heating element that automatically adjusts the heating speed and timing for foolproof results. It allows you to not only make bread, but also yogurt, dessert, jam, and cake.
- Countdown cooking timer with LCD display
- Nonstick bread pan is dishwasher-safe
- Three loaf capacity (one pound, 1.5 pound, and two pound loaf)
Including sourdough, rye, and soda bread, this bread machine features 14 settings to make a variety of recipes. Choose your preferred level of crispiness with multiple crust color options.
- LCD display and intuitive, multifunctional button controls
- Creates hot, fluffy loaves in just 90 minutes
- 550 watts
With a thirteen hour delay start function, you can make fresh bread at any time of day. It features a truly modern look with stainless steel and black accents.
- Twelve preprogrammed menu options
- Interior light allows you to view the progress of the bread on the inside
- LCD display offers easy-to-read display of countdown time, current cycle, and selected options
This bread machine features a dual blade to make rectangular-shaped two-pound loaves. It features 10 pre-programmed settings to make a variety of different types of breads.
- 700 watts
- Removable nonstick bread pan for easy cleaning
- 13 hour delay timer
Featuring 19 different settings, you can make a variety of breads, jams, and dough. It can make a 1.5 and two pound loaves with your choice of light, medium, or dark crust.
- Includes measuring cup and spoon
- 13 hour delay timer
- Viewing window allows you to see the bread baking
Featuring 12 pre-programmed options, this machines allows you to make basic, French, whole wheat, and gluten free loaves. The quick bake setting makes bread in just under an hour and the direct current motor allows for quiet operation.
- Built-in automatic fruit and nut dispenser
- 60-minute keep warm function
- 13-hour delay timer
There are 19 preset menu settings that will allow you to create whatever type of bread you’d like.
- Programmable LCD digital display
- 2.2 pound capacity
- 3 crust settings
This bread maker features a fifteen hour delay that will let you serve warm bread for breakfast whenever you want.
- 550 watts of power
- 4 power options available
- 1-hour keep warm function
Versatile Bread Machine
A beginner-friendly appliance, this bread machine has everything you need without all the bells and whistles. It has different settings to make basic white bread, french bread, gluten free bread, and even jam and yogurt.
- 19 programmable settings
- Three loaf sizes — one pound, 1.5 pound, and two pounds
- Removable non-stick pan makes clean up a breeze
This bread machine features a smartly designed kneading paddle that collapses before baking to prevent holes in the bottom of the loaf. It also has been engineered to bake evenly to create a uniform crust color and consistent texture.
- 850 watts
- Fruit and nut dispenser holds ingredients until the right time to add them to the dough
- One-pound, 1.5 pound, and two pound loaf
The smart LCD screen on this bread machine features a progress indicator. It features thirteen automatic settings, including basic, whole wheat, gluten free, sweet, and yeast free, with three crust colors and four loaf sizes.
- Features 60-minute recovery feature if the electricity goes out
- Unique collapsible kneading paddle minimizes the hole in the bottom of the loaf
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser adds ingredients at just the right time
This stainless steel bread maker allows you to make whole grain bread, French bread, quick bread, and even cake. It features twelve settings for perfect bread every time.
- Removable interior pan for easy cleaning
- “Beep”s to remind you to add final ingredients during the cycle
- Viewing area lets you see the bread as it bakes
With nine programs to choose from, including quick bread, whole-wheat bread, and gluten free bread. It features a 140 rpm high-speed agitator that ensures the dough is thoroughly kneaded every time.
- Five hour delay timer so you can have fresh bread at any time
- One hour automatic keep warm function
- Includes a two-year warranty
This bread machine comes with 25 settings to make French bread, gluten-free bread, quick bread, jam, and cake. It bakes a traditional rectangular shaped two-pound loaf.
- Removable ceramic interior pan is dishwasher safe
- LCD display makes it easy to read the timer and completion time
- 13-hour delay start timer
Gluten Free Bread Machine
With fourteen programmed settings for a variety of breads and doughs, you can make everything from a classic white loaf to gluten free loaves, and even jam and cake. The automatic fruit and nut dispenser will integrate your mix-ins into the dough at just the right time.
- Three crust shades and three loaf sizes
- Removable lid for easy cleanup
- Nonstick pan lifts out for easy bread removal and cleaning
Featuring a sleek design with stainless steel, this bread maker features an interior pan that lifts out for easy bread removal and cleaning. Choose from one, 1.5 and two pound loaf and light, medium, and dark crust.
- Includes measuring cup and spoon and tool for removing the loaf
- Countdown cooking timer with LCD display
- Automatic keep warm function
Featuring thirteen settings for making a variety of breads, dough, jams, and even gluten-free bread. The express bake setting allows you to bake bread in under an hour.
- 650 watts
- Easy-to-read LCD display
- Removable lid for easy clean up
Bread Machine with Yeast Dispenser
This bread maker automatically adds yeast at just the right time to ensure a perfect loaf every time. It features 13 automatic settings to make basic, French, whole wheat, gluten free, and even yogurt, jam, and cake.
- Smart LCD screen
- Three crust colors and two loaf sizes (one pound and 1.5 pound)
- Up to 15 hours delay timer
Mini Bread Maker
This one-pound bread maker allows you to make bread, pizza dough, pasta dough, cake, and jam. Double heaters rapidly heat the interior of the bread maker for a light and airy crust.
- Recipe book with 50 recipes
- Carrying handle allows you to easily transport the bread maker from room to room
- Auto dispenser adds nuts and other ingredients at just the right time